Updated Sept 2010:
And something taught to me by my grandfather, which is not trite:
- If in doubt, cut it out. (If you are not sure or clear about something you have written, remove it)
- Assumption is the mother of all cock ups (says it all really)
- The devil is in the detail (You have to drill down to the lowest level as that is where the assumptions and problems lie -- helicopter views are only useful for a short time)
- Bad news don't get a better (Flag issues and problems as early as possible, otherwise it just gets worse)
- Measure twice, cut once (Prepare properly and test your assumptions).