On my Ubuntu 6.10 system the easy way to create an ISO image file is as follows:
The copy starts.
- Insert the CD (or DVD) into the drive. A CD icon should appear on the desktop after it auto mounts
- Right click on the desktop icon and from the pop up menu select "Copy Disc..."
- On the small dialogue that appears the "Copy disc to:" field probably displays the CD/DVD writer drive. Change it to "File Image".
- To make a direct CD/DVD media copy on a blank disk leave the field set to the writer drive.
- Select the "Write" button
- On the next screen modify the file name (keep the ISO file suffix) and directory name as required.
- Select "OK"