If you are a Serena Dimensions administrator you might find this of some use, otherwise I'm afraid it's 'move along, nothing to see here...'
Let's explain the background:
Dimensions supports the the concept of a Primed request (or change document in pre rel 10 terminology), another name for this is 'based on'. The idea is that you create a parent request type (e.g. a Request For Change -- RFC) and child request type (e.g. Development Request -- DR).
The model would be that after an RFC is approved and sent to the development team for building. The development team then create one or more development requests to fulfil the requirements of the RFC. Dimensions further enhances this by allowing the administrator to define field mappings (priming) between parent and child requests. So for instance, when the user primes a new DR from an RFC it would be possible to copy over the short description and work order number (externally generated) to the DR
However if is still possible to use the create new Request function to create a new DR manually. Usually this type of flexibility is desirable and all is good with the world. But sometimes our process restricts us so that we shouldn't allow a request to be generated unless it's based on a parent. A recent example I implemented was a RetroFit request, obviously a retrofit does not make sense unless it's part of a larger DR, although the retrofit could occur at any time and be carried out by a different developer.
Dimensions itself has no specific feature to restrict this, you can achieve the same affect using mandatory user attributes. Although the effect it's perhaps not that elegant it does work.
Now the implementation details
- Create a valid set (say _noprimevs) that has one colum and a single value (e.g. "ONLY ALLOW PRIMING")
- Create a single field attribute (say prime_only)
- In the parent request add in the prime_only attribute
- set up a default value of "ONLY ALLOW PRIMING"
- make sure the attribute is not displayed in the GUI
- In the child request add in the prime_only attribute
- set up a default value of say "Not Allowed"
- make sure the attribute is not displayed in the GUI ("Edit Attributes dialogs " and "custom Pending & Catalog views " check boxes)
- Change the request lifecycle so that the attribute prime_value must have a value (optional)
- Set up the field priming, making sure to set up a copy for prime_value from parent to child